When you use Taxido, you trust us with your information. We are committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This policy describes the information we collect, how it is used and shared, and your choices regarding this information. We recommend that you read this along with our Privacy Overview, which highlights key points about our privacy practices (including what information we collect, when we collect it and how we use it).
Last modified: 31 July 2018
Effective date: 31 July 2018
Download Previous Policy
Data collection and use
This policy applies to users of Taxido's services anywhere in the world, including users of Taxido's apps, websites, features or other services.
- Riders: users who request or receive transport
- Drivers: users who provide transport individually or through partner transport companies
- Delivery recipients: users who request deliveries of food or other items
- Delivery partners: users who provide delivery services
This policy also applies to those who provide information to Taxido in connection with an application to use our services, or whose information Taxido otherwise receives in connection with its services (such as contact information of individuals associated with Taxido partners). All those subject to this policy are referred to as “users” for purposes of this policy.
The practices described in this policy are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we only engage in the practices described in this policy in a particular country or region if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us if you have questions on our practices in your country or region.
Questions, comments and complaints about Taxido's data practices can be submitted to Taxido's data protection office through here.
We process personal information inside and outside of the United States. Taxido transfers information of users outside the United States on the basis of mechanisms approved under applicable laws.
The information we collect
- Information that you provide to Taxido, such as when you create your Taxido account.
- Information created when you use our services, such as location, usage and device information.
- Information from other sources, such as Taxido partners and third parties that use Taxido APIs.
This may include your name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification numbers, date of birth, photo and signature. This also includes driver vehicle or insurance information. This also includes the preferences and settings that you enable for your Taxido account.
- Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up to use Taxido’s services as a driver or delivery partner. This may include information such as your driver history or criminal record (where permitted by law). This information may be collected by a vendor on Taxido’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, including through user surveys. This includes information such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser and third-party sites or service you were using before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this information through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers.
- Device information
We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Communications data
We enable users to communicate with each other and Taxido through the Taxido apps, websites and other services. For example, we enable drivers and riders, and delivery partners and recipients to call or text each other (in some countries, without disclosing their telephone numbers to each other). To provide this service, Taxido receives some information regarding the calls or texts, including the date and time of the call/text, and the content of the communications.
How we use your information
Taxido collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient transportation, delivery and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications to or between users
- To provide promotions or contests
- In connection with legal proceedings
Taxido does not sell or share your personal information to third parties for third party direct marketing purposes.
Taxido uses the information it collects for purposes including:
- Providing services and features
Taxido uses the information we collect to provide, personalise, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
- Create and update your account.
- Verify your identity.
- Enable transport, deliveries and other services. This includes automated processing of your information to enable Dynamic Pricing, in which the price of a trip is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance of the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of riders and drivers using Taxido at a given moment.
- Process or facilitate payments for those services.
- Offer, obtain, provide or facilitate insurance or finance solutions in connection with our services.
- To track the progress of your trip or delivery.
- Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a driver, refer a friend to Taxido, split fares or share your ETA.
- Enable features to personalise your Taxido account, such as creating bookmarks for your favourite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations.
- Enable Accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services, such as those which enable deaf or hard-of-hearing drivers to alert their riders of their disabilities, allow only text messages from riders, and to receive flashing trip request notifications instead of sound notifications.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing, and research, and to monitor and analyse usage and activity trends.
- Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
- Screening drivers and delivery partners prior to enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including thorough reviews of background checks where permitted by law, to prevent use of our services by unsafe drivers.
- Using information from drivers’ devices to identify unsafe driving behaviour such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to raise awareness among drivers regarding such behaviours.
- our Real-time ID check feature, which prompts drivers to share a selfie before going online. This helps ensure that the driver using the app matches the Taxido account we have on file, preventing fraud and helping to protect other users.
- Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision-making process. Users in the EU have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information
- Using user ratings to encourage improvement by affected users, and as grounds for deactivating users with ratings below a certain minimum as may be required in their region. Calculation and deactivation may be done through an automated decision-making process. Users in the EU have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information.
- Customer support
Taxido uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you and with your consent) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including to:
- Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address your concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses
- Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
- Communications among users
Taxido uses the information we collect to enable communications between our users. For example, a driver may text or call a rider to confirm a pick-up location, or a restaurant or delivery partner may call a delivery recipient with information about their order.
- Communications from Taxido
Taxido may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, updates and events.
Taxido may also use the information to promote and process contests and sweepstakes, fulfil any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as an Taxido user. Users in the EU have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information.
Taxido may also use the information to inform you about elections, ballots, referenda and other political and policy processes that relate to our services.
- Legal proceedings and requirements
We may use the information we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to your use of Taxido's services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities and official inquiries.
Cookies and third-party technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analysing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviours and interests of people who interact with our services
Information sharing and disclosure
Some of Taxido's products, services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request. We may also share your information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Taxido may share the information we collect:
- With other users
- For example, if you are a rider, we may share your first name, average rider rating given by drivers, and pick-up and/or drop-off locations with drivers. If you share a trip with another rider, that rider may be told your name and may see your pick-up and/or drop-off location.
- If you are a driver or delivery partner, we may share information with your rider(s) including name and photo; vehicle make, model, colour, licence plate and vehicle photo; location; average rating provided by riders; total number of trips; for how long you have been using the Taxido app; and contact information (depending upon applicable laws). If you choose to complete a driver profile, we may also share any information associated with that profile, including information that you submit and compliments that past riders have submitted about you. The rider/delivery recipient will also receive a receipt containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, your first name, photo and a map of the route you took.
- At your request
This includes sharing your information with:
- Other people at your request. For example, we may share your ETA and location with a friend at your request, or your trip information when you split a fare with a friend.
- Taxido business partners. For example, if you requested a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, Taxido may share your information with those third parties. This may include, for example, other apps or websites that integrate with our APIs, vehicle suppliers, or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate, or business partners with whom Taxido may partner with to deliver a promotion, a contest or a specialized service.
- With the general public when you submit content to a public forum
We love hearing from our users -- including through public forums such as Taxido blogs, social media and certain features on our network. When you communicate with us through those channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
- With the owner of Taxido accounts that you may use
If you use a profile associated with another party we may share your trip information with the owner of that profile. This occurs, for example, if you are:
- A rider using your employer’s Taxido for Business profile, or taking trips arranged through Taxido Central.
- A driver using an account owned by a partner transport company.
- A rider who takes a trip arranged by a friend or under a Family profile.
- A delivery partner acting as a substitute (U.K. only).
- With Taxido subsidiaries and affiliates
We share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, Taxido processes and stores information in the United States on behalf of its international subsidiaries and affiliates.
- With Taxido service providers and business partners
Taxido may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
- Payment processors and facilitators.
- Background check providers (drivers and delivery partners only).
- Cloud storage providers.
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
- Data analytics providers.
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Taxido or on Taxido’s behalf.
- Vendors that assist Taxido to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
- Fleet partners.
- Insurance and finance partners.
- Other local providers.
- Restaurant partners.
- Vehicle solution vendors or third-party vehicle suppliers.
- For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
Taxido may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies, to protect Taxido’s rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including trip information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
Please see Taxido's Guidelines for Law Enforcement Authorities for more information.
- With your consent
Taxido may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Information retention and deletion
Taxido retains user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your Taxido account.
Taxido retains transaction, location, usage and other information for 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Taxido thereafter deletes or anonymises such information in accordance with applicable laws.
If you withdraw consent to the collection or use of personal information for optional features, such as features that use your calendar or address book, Taxido deletes such personal information.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, Taxido deletes the information that it is not required to retain, and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
Taxido requires user profile information in order to provide its services and retains such information for as long you maintain your Taxido account.
Taxido retains certain information, including transaction, location, device and usage information, for a minimum of 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance and other requirements in the places in which it operates. Once such information is no longer necessary to provide Taxido's services, enable customer support, enhance the user experience or for other operational purposes, Taxido takes steps to prevent access to or use of such information for any purpose other than compliance with these requirements or for purposes of safety, security and fraud prevention and detection.
You may request deletion of your account at any time through the privacy settings in the Taxido app, or via Taxido's website (riders and delivery recipients here; drivers and delivery partners here).
Following such requests, Taxido deletes the information that it is not required to retain. In certain circumstances, Taxido may be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an outstanding credit on your account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, Taxido will delete your account as described above.
Taxido may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users' safety and security. For example, if Taxido shuts down a user's account because of unsafe behaviour or security incidents, Taxido may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Taxido account in the future.
Choice and transparency
Taxido provides means for you to see and control the information that Taxido collects, including through:
- in-app privacy settings
- device permissions
- in-app ratings pages
- marketing opt-outs
You may also request that Taxido provide you with explanation, copies or correction of your data.
The Privacy settings menu in the Taxido rider app gives users the ability to set or update their location and contact sharing preferences, and their preferences for receiving mobile notifications from Taxido. Information on these settings, how to set or change these settings, and the effect of turning off these settings is described below.
- Location information
- Taxido uses riders' device location services to make it easier to get a safe, reliable trip whenever you need one. Location data helps improve our services, including pick-ups, navigation and customer support.
- You may enable/disable or adjust Taxido's collection of rider location information at any time through the Privacy settings menu in the Taxido app or via the settings on your mobile device. You may use the Taxido app if you have not enabled location sharing, but it may be more difficult for your driver to locate you.
- Notifications: Account and trip updates
- Taxido provides users with trip status notifications and updates related to your account. These notifications are a necessary part of using the Taxido app and cannot be disabled. However, you may choose the method by which you receive these notifications through the Privacy settings menu in the Taxido app.
- Notifications: Discounts and news
- You may enable Taxido to send you push notifications about discounts and news from Taxido. You may enable/disable these notifications at any time through the Privacy settings menu in the Taxido app.
- Address book/contacts
- You may enable Taxido to periodically sync with the address book/contacts information on your mobile device and store your contact information on our servers. This includes the names, phone numbers, emails addresses and other information that you store in your address book contacts. This information is necessary to enable features such as fare splitting, sharing your trip status and making personalised recommendations for you and other riders.
- You may enable/disable contact syncing at any time via the Privacy settings menu in the Taxido app. If you disable contact syncing, you will not be able to use features that use your contacts' information.
- Calendar syncing
- You may enable Taxido to access and store the calendar data on your mobile device. Your calendar data might include event titles; responses (yes, no, maybe); start and end time of event; associated location descriptions; and number of attendees. We use this information to suggest destinations based on your calendar events and to customise your Taxido experience.
- You may enable/disable calendar syncing at any time through the Calendar shortcuts menu under the Settings menu of the Taxido app. If you disable calendar syncing, you will not be able to use features that use your calendar information.
B. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. These platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Taxido app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Taxido app seeks before you first use the app. Your use of the app constitutes your consent.
C. RATINGS LOOK-UP
After every trip, drivers and riders are able to rate each other, as well as give feedback on how the trip went. This two-way system holds everyone accountable for their behaviour. Accountability helps create a respectful, safe environment for both drivers and riders.
Your rider rating is available in the main menu of the Taxido rider app.
Your driver rating is available in the Ratings tab of the Taxido Partner app.
D. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You may request that Taxido:
- Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information Taxido has collected about you and how it uses that information.
- Receive a copy of the information Taxido has collected about you.
- Request correction of any inaccurate information that Taxido has about you.
You can make these requests by contacting Taxido here.
You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your account through the Settings menu in Taxido's apps. You can also look up your trip, order and delivery history in the Taxido apps.
E. MARKETING OPT-OUTS
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Taxido here. You may also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from Taxido by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as receipts for your trips or information about your account.